This is a photograph I snapped while watching my son play a video game earlier this afternoon. It is from a multi-player map in the game Battlefield 1. The snapshot of a TV screen does not do the artwork justice, the graphics in the game are fantastic. It is quite unbelievable how video games have gone from a 8-bit technology a little over twenty years ago to today. I would label this image in the style of Art Nouveau. Although the size of the poster seems a little small for the lithograph poster size of the time, it has a few distinguishing characteristics. I immediately thought of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec when I caught a glimpse of this poster. It got me thinking about the self-assured happy women that were idealized in the Art Nouveau lithographs. The simplified art and the appearance of hand written type gives a few more clues about this style. The last clue is the black or dark outlines that are filled in with flat colors and abstract shapes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog